WFSA are asking anaesthesiologists around the world on Friday 16 October to take part in our World Anaesthesia Day 2020 campaign to highlight the importance of occupational wellbeing to anaesthesia.
We want the global anaesthesia family to come together to raise the profile of its wellbeing by sharing approaches for maintaining and improving professional wellbeing; helping other anaesthesiologists to better care for themselves and their patients.
What is the campaign about?
Anaesthesiologists experience high levels of occupational fatigue, burnout syndrome, chemical dependency, mental depression, suicidal ideation and more.
There is a link between occupational health and patient safety, with occupational fatigue being one of the main factors in a high prevalence of crises.
We would like you to share your tips for occupational wellbeing, how you combat occupational fatigue, stress or anxiety at work. Successful organizational, professional, and personal interventions may dramatically enhance the health and well-being of anaesthesiologists and reduce their stress levels, depression and intentions to commit suicide.
It’s ok to consider your own wellbeing. We want you to tell us what you do to care for yourself and colleages.
- Download the WAD2020 toolkit in English
- Descargue el kit de herramientas en Español
- Baixe o kit de ferramentas em Português
- Téléchargez la boîte à outils en français
On the day – 16th October 2020
To take part in this campaign, simply download and print off the poster. Fill it in with the name of your country, and the actions you take to look after you and your colleagues occupational welll being. Take a video or photo of you and your team that illustrates your commitment to wellbeing. Then share this video or photo with us on social media using the hashtag #WorldAnaesthesiaDay and #OurWellbeing.
Tweet and share your support with us at @WFSAorg and we’ll help amplify your message.
You can also use the following hashtags: #WAD2020 #OurWellbeing
Examples of occupational wellbeing practices to use on your printable poster:
- Take routine rest breaks
- Talk to my colleagues about wellbeing
- Raise concerns about stress with my seniors
- Encourage a good work-life balance in my department
- I look after my fellow anaesthesiologists
- Implement work-place risk assessments
- Learn to say no to calls, if you feel you’re not in good shape
- feed and hydrate yourself properly during the workday
- I work on emotional intelligence, assertive communication, collaborative work, empathy and compassion
Professional Wellbeing resources
- Occupational Well-being in Anaesthesiologists – WFSA, CLASA, SBA, & CFM – Also available in: Spanish, Chinese and Portuguese
- Fight Fatigue campaign resources and fact sheets — The Association of Anaesthetists
- Maslach Burnout Toolkit™ for Medical Personnel – Maslach, C. et al.
- Burnout in Anesthesiology Providers: Shedding Light on a Global Problem – Milenovic M.S., et al.
- Alert Letter from the WFSA Professional Wellbeing Committee