DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 31 DECEMBER 2022
Applications are invited for a 6-month paediatric anaesthesia fellowship position at The Queensland Children’s Hospital in Brisbane, Australia.
WFSA is promoting this paediatric fellowship opportunity on behalf of QCH. This is not a WFSA Fellowship Programme
The fellowship will start in mid 2023 or January 2024 depending on the preference of the successful applicant.
The Queensland Children’s Hospital is a 350 bed tertiary referral children’s hospital in Australia’s third largest city with full paediatric subspecialty services.
The hospital has 14 operating theatres, two MRI suites, interventional radiology, burns and radiotherapy anaesthetising locations, an acute pain inpatient service, a persistent pain service, and an active research program. The department also runs regular high-fidelity medical simulation training which the successful candidate will participate in.
The fellowship is intended for specialist anaesthetists/anaesthesiologists working in low resource settings in low income or lower middle-income countries with no (or limited) opportunity or to undertake paediatric anaesthetic subspecialty training in their country of origin.
Applicants should fit the following criteria:
- Must be supported in their application by their own national anaesthesiology society
- Must be supported in their application by the chief / head of their home department
- Must be returning to their home country to a recognised post
- Should preferably be working in a teaching hospital
- Aim to become a resource person for paediatric anaesthesia in their home country
Fellows will need to be self-funded (resources of a minimum of $25 000 AUD) to apply for their Australian visa, however a grant from the Society of Paediatric Anaesthesia of Australia and New Zealand is available to assist with some of the relocation, registration and visa costs.
The successful applicant will need to meet the following requirements:
- MBBS or equivalent level medical qualification that is recognised by the Medical board of Australia.
- Successful EICS verification of medical qualifications via Australian medical council.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English language: Successful completion of IELTS or equivalent as per AHPRA guidelines (level 8). For more information see here.
- Eligibility for registration with the Medical board of Australia through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) via Specialist Pathway-short term training as a medical practitioner.
- Certification of completion of final examinations in home country at commencement of fellowship as a minimum.
- Minimum 4 years training or work experience in anaesthesia with some prior exposure to paediatric anaesthesia.
For more information, please contact the fellowship supervisor Dr Derek Rosen.
Applicants must complete the Fellowship Application Form and provide all the documents listed at the end of the form:
- Curriculum vitae with one recent photo and the names and contact information of two referees who have worked with you in the past 18 months.
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s national anaesthesiology society
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s head of department or hospital management
- Copy of medical degree
- Copy of specialist anaesthetic qualification
- Copy of National photo identification card e.g. drivers license
For further information please contact Dr Derek Rosen
The closing date for applications is the 31 December 2022. Successful applicants will be notified before the end of January 2023.
To apply, please send or email the form below and documents to Mr Glen Bannister.