We asked our Board and Council what their highlights of 2022 were, including their favourite articles, meetings and online resources.
Think they missed some important ones? Let us know by tagging us on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
Prof. Wayne Morriss (WFSA President)
Overall highlight: Being able to meet, share and learn together again – we’ve missed this during the last 2.5 years.
Favourite meetings: Euroanaesthesia, SAARC-AA Congress, All Africa Anaesthesia Congress, CLASA Congress, Anesthesiology, Asian Australasian Congress.
Best article: The Lancet COVID-19 Commission. A great reminder that we need think about the big picture and work together.
Online resources: There are some great new and improved online educational resources. My favourites are Safe Obstetrics Online and EPM Online
Looking forward to: More opportunities to reconnect. I’m particularly looking forward to attending the first in-person meeting of the WFSA Council since 2019.
Prof. Davy Cheng (WFSA Treasurer)
Best articles: Some favourite articles of 2022 are
- NIHR Global Health Unit on Global Surgery, COVIDSurg Collaborative. Elective surgery system strengthening: development, measurement, and validation of the surgical preparedness index across 1632 hospitals in 119 countries. Lancet 2022; 400: 1607–17
- Chan EYS, Cheng D, Martin J. (2022) Magnitude of COVID-19 deaths relative to other leading causes of death: a global analysis. BMJ e049689.
- Bilinski A, Thompson K, Emanuel E (January 2022). COVID-19 and Excess All-Cause Mortality in the US and 20 Comparison Countries, June 2021-March 2022. JAMA.
- Perkins GD, Ji C, Connolly BA, et al (January, 2022) Primary and Secondary Outcomes Among Patients with COVID-19: High-Flow Nasal Oxygen VS. Conventional Oxygen Therapy. JAMA.
- NIHR Global Health Unit on Global Surgery (February 2022). Global guidelines for emergency general surgery: systematic review and Delphi prioritization process. BJS Open, Vol.6, Issue.1
- World Health Organisation (2022) Implications of the COVID-19 pandemic for patient safety: a rapid review.
- De Corte, T., Van Hoecke, S., & De Waele, J (2022) Artificial Intelligence in Infection Management in the ICU. Annual Update in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, 369-381.
- Chen, X., Owen, C. A., Huang, E. C., et al (2021). Artificial intelligence in echocardiography for anesthesiologists. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 2021, 35(1), 251-261.
Favourite meeting/ webinar: The Singapore General Hospital (SGH) Annual Scientific Meeting 2022
Looking forward to: networking with colleagues globally, and in-person meetings!
Prof. Daniela Filipescu (WFSA Secretary)
Overall highlight: The September 2022 topic in Anaesthesia & Analgesia on Patient Blood Management.
- 2022 ESC Guidelines on cardiovascular assessment and management of patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery
- Stefan, Mihai et al (October 2022), Volatile Anaesthesia versus Total Intravenous Anaesthesia for Cardiac Surgery – A Narrative Review. Journal of Clinical Medicine.
- Kietaibl et al (February 2022). Regional anaesthesia in patients on antithrombotic drugs. Joint ESAIC/ ESRA guidelines. European Journal of Anaesthesiology (39 p100-132)
- Fuchs-Buder, et al (November 2022). Peri-operative management of neuromuscular blockade. A guideline from the European Society of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care. European Journal of Anaesthesiology
Online resource: The Internet Book of Critical Care is an excellent tool of exam preparation. It’s very well structured and has great written information, as well as podcasts and an up-to-date app.
Favourite meeting/ webinar: The ESAIC webinar on Catheter Blood Stream Infection Prevention. Great importance in lowering nosocomial infections.
Looking forward to: Euroanaesthesia 2023 in Glasgow
Prof. Filipescu’s Academic Colleagues
Article: Ostadal et al (November 2022). Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in the Therapy of Cardiogenic Shock: Results of the ECMO-CS Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of the American Heart Association.
- Regional Anesthesiology and Acute Pain Medicine YouTube channel
- Houston Methodist DeBakey CV Education YouTube channel
Social media: Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia (@JCVAonline) Twitter
Looking forward to: The Simulation Approach For Education and Training in Emergency
Dr. Carolina Haylock-Loor (WFSA Director of Programmes)
Highlight: During CLASA 2022, we celebrated the 10th Essential Pain Management (EPM) anniversary in the region with a EPM LA Instructors Summit and a EPM workshop. It was attended by LA anaesthesiologists, general practitioners and 5 representatives of the Ministry of Health of Bolivia, aiming to incorporate EPM courses into professional training programmes.
Best article: Update in Anaesthesia: Education Collection
Best resources: EPM online and VAST Learning Platform, now available in Spanish.
Social Media: The WFSA WAD 2022 photobooth
Favourite meeting/ webinar: The VAST wellbeing module (ran in Rwanda September 5th 2022) this wellbeing workshop is a good additional resource to any WFSA short courses.
Looking forward to: WFSA fellowships restarting. And continuing to work in education for Safer Anaesthesia everywhere!
Prof. Elizabeth Thompson Drum (WFSA Council Member)
Highlight: 12 Global Scholars (from 8 different countries) joining us at the ASA Annual Meeting.
Favourite meeting/ webinar: I participated in a talk sponsored by TopMed regarding the work of the ASA Committee on Global Health. Some of the ASA Global Scholars also participated.
Looking forward to: a similar Scholarship program next year – the American Society of Anesthesiologists are actually now accepting applications for the 2023 Global Scholars Program. The deadline is 1 March 2023.
Prof. Patricia Yazbeck (WFSA Council Member)
Best article: Warner Mark A, et al (July 2022). Anesthesia Patient Safety: Next Steps to Improve Worldwide Peri-operative Safety by 2030, Anesthesia & Analgesia 1135(1): 6-19.
Social media: Facebook and Instagram – PAFSA, WFSA, SFAR pages.
Favourite meeting/ Webinar: The 29th congress of the Lebanese Society of Anesthesiologists (LSA), a hybrid meeting done after 2 years of interruption due to the pandemic and the difficult political and economical situation in Lebanon.
Looking forward to: Attending the WFSA Council and Board Meeting in London, March 2023. Also looking forward to organising, with our colleagues in Jordan, the 14th Pan Arab Congress of Anesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Management, which will take place September 2023.
Dr Mauricio Vasco Ramirez (WFSA Council Member)
Overall highlight: the number of new concepts in perioperative care in areas such as sustainability; burnout and wellness; airway management and mechanical ventilation; global surgery.
Best article: Bourgonjon, Bram et al (October 2022) Anaesthesia for elite athletes. European Journal of Anesthesiology, vol 39 (825-834)
Online resources: Educacion continua CLASA
Social media channel: @wfsaorg and @openanesthesia on Twitter
Favourite meeting/ webinar: ESIAC Academy’s webinar series on the theme of ‘Obstetric Safety’
Looking forward to: CLASA in Rio de Janerio September 7-10, 2023