WFSA is working with its global membership to curate, share and disseminate up-to-date and practical COVID-19 guidance for anaesthesia and perioperative care providers. For ease of access this information is grouped by speciality, availability of resources and language.
If there are other information resources which should be included in this section please contact Francis Peel .
Anaesthesiologists and other perioperative care providers are particularly at risk when providing respiratory care and tracheal intubation of patients with COVID-19. WFSA would like to draw anesthesia team attention to the importance of appropriate precautions when providing respiratory care and intubation for these patients.
Guidance on anaesthesia and COVID-19
- Care for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 and associated anaesthesia related resources
- APSF – Perioperative Considerations for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- ASA – Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
- IARS – Coronavirus resources
- Anesthesia & Analgesia – COVID-19 collection
- APSF,ASA,AAAA & AANA – The Use of Personal Protective Equipment by Anesthesia Professionals during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- WFSA – ATOTW 421: Perioperative management of suspected/ confirmed cases of COVID-19
- Canadian Journal of Anesthesia/Journal canadien d’anesthésie – COVID-19 topical collection
- ACS, ASA, AORN, AHH – Roadmap for Resuming Elective Surgery after COVID-19 Pandemic
- FICM/ICS/AoA/RCoA: Information, guidance and resources supporting the understanding and management of COVID-19
- CDC/NIH – What’s New in the Guidelines – This page highlights the updates made by CDC to its COVID-19 guidelines. Last updated 12 May 2020.
- Pediatric Anesthesia – Pediatric anesthetic implications of COVID-19—A review of current literature.
- WFSA’s ATOTW #426 – Practical guide for the intensive care management of patients with COVID-19
- The Lancet – Mortality and pulmonary complications in patients undergoing surgery with perioperative SARS-CoV-2 infection: an international cohort study
- Royal College of Surgeons – Recovery of surgical services during and after COVID-19.
Guidance on Airway Management
- SIAARTI – Covid 19 – Airway Management
- Prince of Wales, Hong Kong – Covid- 19 Principles of airway management (Available in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, German)
- UCSF – Ventilator management pocket reference
Guidance on Obstetric Anaesthesia
- Society for Obstetrics Anesthesia & Perinatology (SOAP) – Intermin considerations for obstetric Anaesthesia Care related to COVID-19
- Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists – Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection in Pregnancy: Information for healthcare professionals
- RCoA, The Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine, the Intensive Care Society and the Association of Anaesthetists. – Obstetric anaesthesia guidance
Guidance for Low Resource Settings
WFSA have curated a wide range of information and guidance specificially for anesthesia providers working in a limited-resource setting. The page is a growing resource so please let us know if you have resources that we should be including on this page. Click here to access the Guidance for Low Resource Settings page.
WFSA Member Society advisories / guidelines
- Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists – COVID Operation Theatre‑ Advisory and Position Statement of Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists (ISA National)
- SASA – South African Society of Anaesthesiologists COVID-19 resource page
- The SFAR (Société Française d’Anesthésie Réanimation (SFAR) – Informations générales sur COVID-19
- Société de Réanimation de Langue Française (SRLF) Lignes directrices et informations
- Gouvernement français – Informations Générales
- CARO – Prise en charge AR pa.ente COVID + ou suspecte en maternité
- WFSA – Déclaration de la WFSA sur la sécurité et le bien-être des professionnels de santé pendant la pandémie COVID-19
Recursos en español
Sociedad Española de Anestesiología, Reanimación y Terapéutica del Dolor (SEDAR) – Portal de información sobre coronavirusMinisterio de Salud Español – Documentos técnicos para profesionalesAsociación de anestesiólogos – Información esencialCLASA – Guías para manejo de pacientes con COVID-19.SCARE – Página de recursos de COVID-19Sociedad Ecuatoriana de Anestesiología – Check list de seguridad para el manejo perioperatorio covid positivoFUS & UIS – Aproximacion practica via aerea en pacientes pandemia COVID19WFSA – Declaración de la WFSA sobre la seguridad y el bienestar de los proveedores de atención médica durante la pandemia de COVID-19
Recursos em Português
- SBA – Recomendações Coronavírus
- WFSA – Declaração da WFSA sobre Segurança e Bem-estar das Equipes de Saúde durante a Pandemia por COVID–19
Coronavirus – General Information
- WHO Academy: Covid-19 Learning centre – A mobile learning app targeted specifically to health workers. It is available in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.
- WHO – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
- WHO – Emerging respiratory viruses, including nCov: methods for detection, prevention, response and control
- WHO – Online training as a weapon to fight the new coronavirus
- CDC – Information for Healthcare Professionals
- MSF – MSF update on novel coronavirus outbreak
- WHO – Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)