Recent American Society of Anesthesiologists highlights include:
- The preservation of physician-led, team-based anesthesia care in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in 2016/2017 was a huge success for the Society and victory for patients.
- In 2017 ASA continued its Brain Health Initiative to address the challenge of postoperative delirium.
- The ANESTHESIOLOGY 2017 annual meeting in Boston featured over 14,000 total registrants, 25% of whom were international and nearly 300 exhibitors.
American Society of Anesthesiologists
1061 American Lane
Schaumburg, IL 60173-4973
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
President: Dr Mary Dale Peterson
President Elect: Dr Beverly K. Philip
Immediate Past President: Dr Linda Mason
First Vice President: Dr Randy Clark
AGM Date: 3rd-7th October 2020, Washington, D.C.
Preferred Language: English
Year Joined: 1960
Anaesthesia Workforce Data
- PAP Density: 20.82
- Population: 321,774,000
- Physicians: 767,782
- Physician anaesthesia providers: 67,000
- Surgeons: 114,679
- Nurse anaesthesia providers: 33,914
- Other anaesthesia providers: 1,960
- No. of physician providers that have an anaesthetic qualification: 55,000
- Minimum duration of training (years) for physician anaesthesia providers: 4
- Typical duration of training (years) for nurse anaesthesia providers: 2
- Typical duration of training (years) for non physician / non-nurse anaesthesia providers: 0