The University of Nairobi is offering three Paediatric Anaesthesia Fellowship positions starting in October 2023
The duration of the fellowship is 12 months. Successful applicants will receive funding to cover tuition, accommodation and subsistence living expenses.
Fellows will rotate through Kenyatta National Hospital, Gertrude’s Children’s Hospital, Mater Hospital, Kijabe Hospital and CURE Kenya Orthopaedic Hospital. Teaching will be provided by local faculty and visiting specialists. There is a robust online learning platform with facilitators from the world over.
All applicants must be registered medical practitioners in their country of origin and eligible for registration with the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council. In addition to the WFSA application, it will be mandatory to apply directly to the University of Nairobi. This is an online application and any clarification regarding the process can be sought from the course coordinator.
Preference will be given to early career anaesthesiologists who are working in Central and East African countries. However, older anaesthesiologists and those working in other African countries may apply and the selection panel will consider each applicant’s place of work and other factors when making its decision.
WFSA Applicant Criteria:
- Must be supported in their application by their own national anaesthesiology society which must be a member society of the WFSA.
- Must be supported in their application by their head of department or hospital management.
- Must be returning to their home country to a recognized post.
- Should ideally be working in a teaching hospital
How to apply:
Please head to our online application platform here to register/login. Select Chapter ‘Fellowships’ and Category ‘Nairobi Paediatric Fellowship 2023/24’.
Complete your application form and upload the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae with one recent photo and the names of two referees
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s national anaesthesiology society
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s head of department or hospital management
- Copy of medical degree
- Copy of specialist anaesthesiology qualification
- Copy of photograph page of Passport
For the University of Nairobi (UoN) application, the following documentation will be required:
- Filled online application as found on the application portal of the UoN website.
- Both undergraduate medical degree and specialization in Anaesthesia. These must be certified by the issuing University/College/Institution.
- Transcripts both from your Undergraduate degree and Anaesthesia degree/fellowship. These must be certified by the University/ Fellowship college
- High School certificates – certified.
- Letter/certificate of good standing from the registering authority in your country (the equivalent of the Kenya Medical Practitioner’s and Dentist’s Council)
- Valid police clearance from your country of residence – before arrival
- For the above if not in English they need to be translated officially into English by a recognized/official translation service.
- Evidence of Yellow fever vaccination
- Evidence of Hepatitis B vaccination
Note that the UoN application is very stringent so all the above documentation must be provided, or the application will not go through.
The deadline for applications is the 31st of May 2023.
Applications will be considered by a panel of anaesthesiologists selected by WFSA, and successful applicants will be informed by June 2023.
Successful applicants must confirm their intention to take up the scholarship within 2 days of notification. Failure to do so will result in the scholarship being offered to the next applicant.
For more information, please contact the course coordinator, Dr Mark Gacii